Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Curious Idea, Marketing & Weekend Plans

A Curious Idea
I am sure everyone is familiar with the concept of Shareware. I was wondering if this would work as a model for war games scenarios. For instance, I am working on a couple of projects in the background. One is some scenarios for Terrible Sharp Sword for the Battle of Atlanta in 1864. Rather than try to put it together in a large book of 30 or so scenarios and release it, what about putting together a couple of scenarios and posting it up on the blog for anyone to grab. If they like the scenarios, they can send something via paypal. What do ya'll think? Would that be a workable model?

Marketing
I will be the first to say, I don't have a clue how to do this. Any tips for an aspiring scenario author anyone? I have put posts on the typical places: TFL Yahoo Group & Forum, a post on the Market Place and WWII Scenario group on TMP, a post on LAF, A post on the Guild, a post on Society of Gentleman Gamers, two bloggers have reviewed the CSIR book, Wargame news and terrain posted it for me and I have some friends posting on boards I am not part of.

I am assuming at this point it is subject matter that is too marginal for the average war gamer to be interested in. Anyway, any word of mouth/internet that you dear readers could help spread would be very welcome. Any suggestions on something else I can try?

Weekend Plans
Mark is organizing a game at Gigabytes in Marietta from my book for Saturday at 12. Should be fun as it is one of the scenarios featuring Soviet Armor in the form of the formidable T-37. I really wonder how successful the CSIR would have been had they encountered any T-34s in the opening months of the campaign. Instead, they encountered tanks of such obsolescence that they did not even want them.

I have not gotten a game in with other people in a long time. I am really looking forward to this. I am even missing out on opening day of deer season for this. Ah, the sacrifices one must make. :)

I hope everyone has big plans for the weekend. Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Right now, I am e-mailing the book. I only had one person that the book did not go through e-mail on and I had to put it up on Google Drive and send them a link. I am not sure how i would even go about automating such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you sent a copy to Neil Schuck (sp) of The Meeples and miniatures podcast?

    Also Henry Hyde of Miniatures Wargames and Battleges magazine may be willing to take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually yes. Neil said he would feature it in his next article in Miniature Wargames. Also sent it to Richard B at SOTCW who promised a review as well.

      Delete
  3. Hi Chris,

    haven't you got contacts with Italian wargame magazines/websites/clubs? They might like this. I don't know if they are active on for example a FOW forum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I don't. I know one gentleman in Italy who helped review the book. I would love to get in contact with Italian Wargame Magazines but I just don't have a clue where to begin.

      I am really not sure that this would be welcome on FOW forums based on some previous experiences. They tend to be selective on what is allowed to be advertized there which is their right to do so. Great thoughts though.

      Delete