Thursday, September 4, 2014

Fun with Stats or When do you look at others blogs?

I when I was working on my earlier blog post I passed by the stats for my site and noticed that I had a bunch of views for the day. This made me curious and I looked at the graph for the pattern of when folks were hitting the site.

The chart shows that most of the views showed up at 5am in the morning. Now I think that works out to about 10am in the UK. So does this mean that most Americans read their blogs before they get to work or late at night after work while those in Europe are looking at them at work? Or more likely, the Russian spider bots move hot and heavy in the morning while everyone else looks sporadically all throughout the day?

Given that I really want to be an optimist, I will assume that I have a huge legitimate viewership at 5am in the morning here in Atlanta. So what time are you usually looking at blogs?

13 comments:

  1. In the UK everybody will be at work when they look at blogs! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a HUGE spike from my Road Warrior travel post. Stats show that the source was the Ukraine. Perhaps because I had key words like..... Cold War, Missile.
    Crazy, weird and freaky!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I peek in the AM before I go to work or when I get home at night after work. Work is the only thing between me and blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Early morning, around lunch time, and late at night are my primetimes for blog reading. I'm in New Zealand though, so I probably help keep the stats ticking over at other random hours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get suspicious of huge spikes like that. I reckon it's spamming robots like that Halloween history blog :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. A while back I had a huge spike of views from Ukraine over about 48 hours. Nothing obvious showed up in the referring sites or referring URL stats though, which is odd if it was spamming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usually late evening for me. It's the only time I can get the kids out of the road and get to my computer!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. as has been said its worktime over here in UK - so blogs definitely being read.

    I typically get spikes when I put out a post and advertise in on the forums. Every so often I get a single spike of 50 or 60 pages - is this just one reader purveying the site?

    I do find that titles can drive traffic - I have one post called Big Rivers - I get at least 400 hits a month on that post alone. If you google the term it appears on the first page of google !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just checked and today's peak on blogger was also 10am (GMT) with a smaller peak at 3pm That's according to blogger; according to the flag counter (which doesn't register the 'bots, unlike Blogger) there was no peak at 10, but the one at 3 is there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have changed my pattern, these days it's during my lunch, but also when I get home and over the weekend though I also go on before setting off for work as well

    ian

    ReplyDelete
  11. The company I just started working with blocks Wordpress but allows for Blogger. Go figure. I check in the morning, at lunch and in the evening, yes I am hooked.

    I recently have seen a jump in the numbers coming from Russia, just not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also use Feedly so I do not know how that effects your blog numbers unless I go in to your blog to post a comment.

    ReplyDelete